09-01-17 Ministry cites petty partisan games with Special Education
After 6 years of bailout memorandum inertia, indifference and degradation of Special Education by previous governments, the belated anxiety and charges of some teacher trade unionists on the staffing of special education, clearly have “Azure” [New Democracy] petty partisan objectives.
The emphasis of the Education Ministry on Special education is demonstrated by the following data:
- 35 new special education schools and high school classes and 538 new Induction Classes for the 2016-2017 school year
- New special schools will be founded in 2017-2018 for the first time through changes in schools
- The hiring of substitute teachers first in Special education and then in general education in 2016-2017
- The hiring of substitute teachers and of Special Educational and assistant personnel in much greater numbers than in prior years. Already, 9,318 hirings occurred at Special Education EAE schools in all specialisations, compared to 8,600 in 2015-2016 and only 6,308 in 2014-2015.
- To support KEDDY diagnostic centres, 100 substitute teachers were hired and 648 substitute Specialised Education Personnel were hired to cover vacancies at KEDDY and EDEAY diagnostic centres for 2016-2017.
Παρατίθενται αναλυτικά τα στοιχεία των προσλήψεων στην Ειδική Αγωγή και Εκπαίδευση για το τρέχον έτος:
|SMEAE and TE||Parallel Tutoring and support at general schools||KEDDY and EDEAY||Total|
|Primary School Teachers||2.032||1.915||55||4.002|
|Secondary School Teachers||1.810||400||45||2.255|
The above undeniable data indicate the level of credibility of announcements that cite “competent bureaus of the Education Ministry”, to add an alleged mantle of authority to claims, even though the number of vacancies in special education have not been requested from the bureau, but only for general education.
Education, and especially special education, cannot be an area of political sparring, with selective use of data and false claims, aiming at exacerbating problems. Such skewing exposes those who engage in it as political aims are apparent.